ADSM-L

Re: CMS Admin client API?

1997-05-08 11:18:49
Subject: Re: CMS Admin client API?
From: Paul Russell <PRUSSELL AT VMA.CC.ND DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 10:18:49 EST
On 7 May 1997, Louis Lang <Louis_Lang-O10232 AT EMAIL.MOT DOT COM> wrote:

>I'd like to find a suite of functions that I can call from an
>application that would invoke admin commands on the server.  Yes, an
>API for ADSM for VM.  Is there such a thing?  Thanks for any info.

Using work originally done by Martha McConaghy at Marist College as a
starting point, I have written several execs to automate some of the
admin functions on our VM-based ADSM server. Each exec is issuing some
variation of the following command

   'DSMADMC -ID='admin_id '-PASS='admin_pw 'MACRO' fn'.'ft

The file specified on the macro operand contains one or more ADSM
commands which are to be executed. For example:

   QUERY VOLUME *  > QVOLUME.OUTPUT.A

If you want any of the following execs, please let me know and I will
send them to you.

   DSMQUERY EXEC - Execute ADSM queries in pseudo-batch mode (basis for
                   all the others and used by at least one of them)
   DSMTAPAD EXEC - Find highest volser in ADSM tape pool and add
                   sequential volser(s) to pool
   DSMTAPHI EXEC - Find highest volser in ADSM tape pool
   DSMTAPML EXEC - Generate ADSM tape utilization summary report and
                   mail report to ops mgr and VM sysprogs (run daily
                   by VMUTIL)

Sample output from DSMTAPML:

   First tape volser allocated to DSMSERV   : DSM000
   Last tape volser allocated to DSMSERV    : DSM530

   Tapes allocated to archive pool          :     15
   Tapes allocated to backup pool           :    516
   Total tapes allocated to DSMSERV         :    531

   Tapes in backup pool with status FULL    :    498
   Tapes in backup pool with status FILLING :      7
   Tapes in backup pool with status EMPTY   :     11

* Paul Russell * Senior Systems Engineer * University of Notre Dame    *
* Email: prussell AT vma.cc.nd DOT edu * Web: http://vma.cc.nd.edu/~prussell  *