ADSM-L

My war story on HSM

1997-05-08 10:22:27
Subject: My war story on HSM
From: "Eliza.Lau AT vt DOT edu" <LAU AT VTCC1.CC.VT DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 10:22:27 -0400
After running HSM smoothly for almost a year, dsmreconcile started crashing my
system almost every night.  (It is scheduled to run daily at 9pm.)  It first
happened sporadically, then it was every night.  I tested it by running it 6
times in a roll, and it crashed AIX every other time.  Anyway, IBM found out
what the problem was and got a fix for it.  Dsmreconcile cannot handle special
character files and therefore locks up the kernel.

Dsmreconcile has been running fine for the past 2 days after I applied the fix,
BUT the first time it ran it put 11,180 of migrated files in orphan.stubs.
I tried to recall some of these files, and sure enough HSM cannot find them on
the server.  The files were created more than 6 months ago and the status of
the backup files is Active.  The support center has no idea what happened, and
now I am facing the tedious task of deleting 11,180 orphan files scattered
througout the filesystem and restoring them from backup manually.  Am I glad
that I set MIGREQUIRESBKUP to yes.  Anyone has a better suggestion on how to
restore these orphan files?

 Eliza Lau
 Eliza Lau
 Virginia Tech Computing Center                Internet : eliza.lau AT vt DOT
edu
 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
 1700 Pratt Drive
 Blacksburg VA 24060                            Voice   : (540) 231-9399