ADSM-L

Re: HELP! Restore of Netware 3.12 server is failing

2015-10-04 18:08:07
Subject: Re: HELP! Restore of Netware 3.12 server is failing
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 5/7/97 10:11AM
What server are you using and what is the maintenance level of it?

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    5/7/97 10:11 AM

Peter,

I thought there was a similar problem with some of my Netware Servers both
during backups and restores they would appear to hang.  W hat appears to be
causing these temporary lockups is another process on the ADSM Server.  I
believe because the tapes are coallocate d other processes are still using all
the available tape drives and the backup / restore process has to wait before it

can continue with its process.  This really drove my crazy until I took a closer

look at what was going on with the ADSM server.

Hope this helps.

Patrick Gilman (Vanstar Corporation)
Healthsource, Inc.
Hooksett, NH

>>> "Peter Hadikin (HDIP9235)" <HDIP9235 AT BCITVM.BCIT.BC DOT CA> 05/06/97
>>> 06:54PM >>>

FROM:  Peter Hadikin (HDIP9235)
       (604) 432-8452

I posted a note a while ago regarding a problem I was having trying to restore
an entire volume to a Netware 3.12 server. I have a bit more information and
would be interested in any feedback from the group ... especially the ADSM
development team, as to what the problem may be.

The server is an IBM Model 320 server running version 3.12 of Netware. The
server has 144 meg of memory installed. It is equipped with a 500 meg SYS:
volume and a 5 GB DATA: volume. I have tried about 15 restores of the DATA:
volume and every one has hung the entire server. I am running V2.1.7 of the
ADSM backup/restore client.

I have resorted to restoring the server directory by directory. This seems to
work to a certain degree. These restores all seem to fail when ADSM tries to
restore the root. I should mention that I am restoring the data to a backup
server. The original server is called SE12-AS, the backup server is called
SE12-BK. They both consist of the same hardware. The last message I see is
typically :

  Restoring SE12-AS/DATA/:\ to SE12-BK/DATA/:\

At this point the server hangs. This is typically after restoring anywhere
 from 4,000 to 10,000 files based on the original restore command.

The restore command is typically of the format :

  RESTORE SE12-AS/DATA:\APPS\* SE12-BK/DATA:\APPS\ -FROMNODE=SE12-AS -VOLINFO
-SUBDIR=YES -REPLACE=ALL
Has anybody experienced these symptoms before? I believe most of the NLM's on
Has anybody experienced these symptoms before? I believe most of the NLM's on
the Netware server have been updated so we should be fairly current as far as
any Netware NLM's. People here are a bit concerned since this restore is
taking way longer to complete.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Peter.

BC Institute of Technology
Computer Resources
3700 Willingdon Avenue