ADSM-L

Re: 3590 Read Performance

1997-05-06 16:05:27
Subject: Re: 3590 Read Performance
From: David Ong <david AT BABYONG.NSC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 13:05:27 -0700
Ron,
Thanks for your response. But I don't think my problem has to do with
co-location. All the required data is on that one 3590 tape. The filesystem
that I was trying to restore is on the same machine as the ADSM server.
Also the data for the file system should be fairly 'sequentially' stored on
the tape because to create the offsite tape, I did a full backup to a newly
created DRPOOL and then backed that up to the offsite pool. The data on
that file system is also very static. The problem appears to be the way
ADSM handles lots of small files vs a few large files. For example, to
restore a 363mb 'mksysb' file only took less than 10 minutes.
I remember last year there was some discussion on this subject but I don't
recall ever seeing any resolution to it.