ADSM-L

Re: long backup time; not much backed up

1997-05-05 08:33:07
Subject: Re: long backup time; not much backed up
From: Patrick Gilman <gilmanpa AT HLTHSRC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 08:33:07 -0400
I agree with Bill, an exclude should be an exclude.  Unfortunately, ADSM
doesn't exclude directories it only can exclude files.  Thus while traversing
an excluded directory it will backup new directory names.  The only possible
suggestion is to try and place your data that you need backed up on a different
partition from the files that you want excluded.  I realize this may not be
possible but it is something to consider.

Patrick Gilman (Vanstar)
Healthsource, Inc.
Hooksett, NH

>>> Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM> 05/01/97 01:49PM >>>
I think the design is pretty good, as far as it goes, and that it is
working as designed, so there is no bug to fix.  But clearly there is a
needed enhancement.  There should be a new statement --

   superexclude <directory_specification>

which tells the tree searching & include/exclude processes to stay out of a
specified section of the tree, just traverse to the next equal or higher
level.

IBM, if development of Version 3 is going on now, could this be included,
if it isn't already covered?

Bill Colwell
The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
Cambridge Ma.