ADSM-L

Re: Export/import

1997-05-01 14:09:14
Subject: Re: Export/import
From: CC Masters <cmaster1 AT TUELECTRIC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 19:09:14 +0100
1.  Beware of export tapes and how you plan on managing them!
  a.  Using DEL VOLH you are forced to manage all export tapes the same.
      (DEL VOL xxxxxx is only valid for storage pool volumes.)
        Note:  We are using export in two different ways:
                1. To move data from one server to another.  Once theses
                were moved we wanted to reclaim the tapes quickly.

                2. To move old data off ADSM and it's database,
                but still having the ability to restore if necessary.
                We needed to keep these tapes.

        I don't have a solution on how to reclaim only the tapes
        I don't need anymore.  (I have over 50 3590's tied up)
  b.  If I remember correctly, the export DEVCLAS you use must exist on
the
  system you run your import.

2.  One of the admins here tried from her workstation and her exports
failed after 2-3 hours.  Instead execute the export command from the MVS
console.  Your Q SESS will look like this:
adsm> q sess

  Sess Comm.  Sess     Wait   Bytes   Bytes Sess  Platform Client Name
Number Method State    Time    Sent   Recvd Type
------ ------ ------ ------ ------- ------- ----- --------
--------------------
--------------------
 1,697 Memory SendW    0 S   25.8 M     187 Admin Server
 1,697 Memory SendW    0 S   25.8 M     187 Admin Server
SERVER_CONSOLE
        IPC

3.  The imports didn't fail if the command was done from an admin
workstation, but I preferred
running it from the MVS console.

4.  Another gotcha:  I tried splitting up my backup and archive exports
then importing them...don't do it!  Once the filespace is imported you
cannot import more data into it.(At least I haven't
figured it out yet.)

Hope this helps.  I've been doing this for the last few weeks, it is
very
time consuming.  Good luck.

"Things which matter most must never be at the
mercy of things which matter least." - Goethe