ADSM-L

Number of Domains

1997-04-30 13:41:43
Subject: Number of Domains
From: "Klein, Robert" <kleinr AT EXCHANGE.NIH DOT GOV>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:41:43 -0400
This question is directed to those who operate ADSM on a cost recovery
basis.

Up until now the central adsm support staff here has not been registering
nodes directly.  We have required that a registered user agree to be a
policy administrator of a domain and then register nodes belonging to staff
in his/her organization in the domain.  Sometimes it can be difficult for a
potential adsm user to locate an existing domain and the person does not
want the responsibility and hassle of being a policy admin.  So we have
decided to register nodes directly using a standard policy set and a
standard set of schedules.  Since we have been linking domains to computer
accounts, it would be most convenient for us to set up a separate domain
for each user, linking the domain to the user's computer account.  This
could potentially result in a large number (several thousand) of domains.
 Has anyone tried using a large number of domains?  If so, have there been
any problems?  Thanks.