ADSM-L

Re: FW: long file-names

1997-04-30 11:30:56
Subject: Re: FW: long file-names
From: "Scott D. Courtney" <courtney AT TIMKEN DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:30:56 EST
"Siska, Bob" <BSISKA AT NCS DOT COM> wrote:

> Have other users encountered this? Is there an easy work-around? IBM, any
> plans to fix this?
> Bob Siska
> National Computer Systems
> Iowa City
>  ----------
> From: Hackett, Fred
> To: Siska, Bob
> Subject: RE: long file-names
> Date: Tuesday, April 29, 1997 9:47AM
>
> Win 95 allows for long file names.  ADSM will not recover long file names.
>  When you recover you only get the short file name which looks something
> like "ADSMR~1.doc".  Not very pretty.

Windows 95 _emulates_ long filenames from the GUI interface.  In the native
filesystem, the names with the tildes (e.g., ADSMR~1.doc) are what is actually
stored. The long version of the name is just an icon title, stored in "phantom"
directory entries. You can see this from the way there are two different names
shown with the command-line DIR utility.

The ADSM clients on other platforms (UNIX, OS/2, NT, for example) where
the long filenames are truly part of the filesystem do not have this limitation.
It would seem to me that Microsoft, inventors of HPFS and NTFS, needs to fix
this bug in Windows 97 by including one of these more powerful filesystems.