ADSM-L

Waiting for mount point even if there is a free one?

1997-04-29 14:27:00
Subject: Waiting for mount point even if there is a free one?
From: Sal Salak Juraj <IMCEAMS-KEBALINZ_CENTRAL_sal AT MSMAIL.KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:27:00 +0200
Hi!

I recently upgraded to ADSM/2 V2 (CSD Level 21020),
and I believe this version waits occassionally for free tape slot even
if there is one free.
Example:

Configuration: 2 tape drives of one device class DAT in one manual
library. Mountlimit=2.
Storage Pool PCBSDISK has 2 migration processes defined.

At some time, there is one tape PCBS10 mounted, used for RESTORE
Session.

During this, 2 migration processes for PCBSDISK start.

One of them (#8) can mount a tape, the second (#9) has to wait.

Restore ends, leaving tape PCBS10 in IDLE state.

But - migration process #9 still waits for mount point,
tape PCBS10 remains in MOUNT/IDLE state.

DISMOUNTING the tape manually does not help - process #9 still waits.

CANcelling process #8 releases its tape.
Because the disk storage pool PCBSDISK is still candidate for migration,
a new migration process #10 is started instead. Now, each of both
processes
requires a tape and is able to mount it.

Can someone explain me this behaviour ?

Juraj SALAK
KEBA Banking
Linz, Austria

ADSM > Q SES

  Sess     Comm.      Sess         Wait       Bytes       Bytes     Sess
     Platform     Client Name
Number     Method     State        Time        Sent       Recvd     Type
 ------     ------     ------     ------     -------     -------
-----     --------     --------------------
     2     Tcp/Ip     Run          0 S       13.5 K         114
     2     Tcp/Ip     Run          0 S       13.5 K         114
Admin     OS/2         VIEW
     3     Tcp/Ip     Run          0 S        9.2 K         114
Admin     OS/2         VIEW
    13     Tcp/Ip     IdleW        6 S       40.4 M      68.5 M     Node
     OS/2         BTSDOM
    21     Tcp/Ip     Run          0 S       39.3 K       1.5 K
Admin     OS/2         SALADSMADMIN

ADSM > Q PROC

 Process     Process Description      Status
  Number