ADSM-L

Re: Re[2]: local devices from ADSM client

1997-04-29 07:29:59
Subject: Re: Re[2]: local devices from ADSM client
From: David Boyes <dboyes AT DIMENSION DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 11:29:59 +0000
>      Currently our divisions looking at ways to reduce costs and one
>      way to save money it to have unattended backups.  Of course, we
>      still would need someone to get the tapes out of the tape
>      library and mail them to the vault.  But it would save a lot of
>      time in setting up divisions if one centralized server could
>      control what is backed up and when.

Not knowing how your data centers are set up, I guess I'm puzzled as
to why you can't accomplish this with the current setup. Assuming you
have a data center at HQ or in a hot backup site somewhere, why can't
you set up a tiered model, ie, the divisions run their own servers with minimal
attendance (or could be sited in the HQ center). The HQ server backs
up only the divisional ADSM servers. If a division takes a hit, you
use the HQ server to restore the divisional ADSM server onto a HQ machine,
and then the cloned divisional server can be used to start restoring
other systems. That still gets you the minimum staffing for each
division -- some poor grad student who needs a night job playing tape
operator -- and some insurance for disaster purposes.

You still have to deal with duplicating the tapes (either running
multiple copypools or periodic duplication of the tapes) -- -ah, I
think  I see it now.  Is what you want really the ability to write to
NON-local tape devices, eg. the ability to write the local tape copy
for restores at the divisional server, but also write a copy at HQ or
your safe backup site, pushing the database information up to the
remote copy as well to facilitate immediate restores in case of
disaster?

-- db
David Boyes
David Boyes