ADSM-L

ADSM/2 v2 device modules pricing

1997-04-29 04:13:00
Subject: ADSM/2 v2 device modules pricing
From: Sal Salak Juraj <IMCEAMS-KEBALINZ_CENTRAL_sal AT MSMAIL.KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 10:13:00 +0200
Hi!

Lately I update my ADSM/2 (==OS2) Server from v1.5 to v2.
The update pricing is reasonable , the new functionality is worth of it.

Then I wanted to replace my manual libraries with  automated tape
library with 2 drives,
but i frightened -  the device support module would cost as much as the
hardware itself - 80.000 Ös which is about  7.000 $. ( the same module
was 0,0$ in Version 1, I believe)

This pricing is similar to the pricing of ADSM/unix plattforms.
Given the  m_u_c_h  lower throughoutput of ADSM/2 Server * comparing to
unix flavours of it, I believe  the ADSM/2 device support should be much
cheaper  because I get less value for same money.

Alternatively, the ADSM Server and device support in OS/2 should be
improved to same level as the unix derivates  are. E.g. : currently I
can write/read  neither DAT´s nor DLT´s in streaming mode, while another
forum members using another plattforms report about this - and this
makes significant performance difference.

Or is there hidden wish of  ADSM project leaders to have  ADSM/2 users
moved to another plattforms?
Eventually abandoning this platform later at all?
I am already considering the move, but I am uncomfortable with it.
I would prefer having my investitions in current plattform preserved.

annoyed Juraj SALAK
system analyst
KEBA Banking
Linz, Austria

(*) I observe this performance penalty inspite of using quick Intel PC:
2x120Mhz SMP Pentium,  128 MB RAM, Seagate´s Barracuda SCSI Disks, 20
MIPS processor based PCI/SCSI controller with 64 MB Cache on-board,
and ADSM performance parameters like TXNByteLimits & Co. tuned to high
values.