ADSM-L

Re: Windows NT client

1997-04-28 13:47:19
Subject: Re: Windows NT client
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:47:19 EDT
On Mon, 28 Apr 1997 09:36:27 -0500 Kauffman, Tom said:
>We're trying the Windows NT client for a couple of servers, and I've run
>into an item I have a question about:
>
>We're running with password=generate in the dsm.opt; the command-line
>dsmc seems to know this and connects to the server correctly, but the
>gui client wants the base (original) password to be entered before it
>connects. What did I miss here?

You just missed a little doc. The password=generate only works for the
linemode client (dsmc.exe) and the scheduler service client (dsmcsvc.exe).
The GUI client does not use it. You can put the password in the dsm.opt
file for the GUI client to use. But I do not believe that the password=
generate process will update the  source line in the dsm.opt file.

   There are at least two bugs with the password=generate process.
   The first is a problem with the use of upper vs lower case node names
   given with the dsmsvci.exe program. This is fixed with ptf 6.

   There is a bug if you do not specify a nodename parm line in the dsm.opt
   file. The password stored in the registry for the dsmc.exe file is not
   usable with the dsmcsvc.exe program. The Password stored in the registry
   by the dsmcsvci.exe1or updatepw.exec programs is not usable with the
   dsmc.exe program. Although the password is good with the adsm server
   in both cases. The adsm support folks can not reproduce this, so I
   suspect that they will never get this one fixed. (The reason that we
   wanted this, is that for most folks this is the only line in the dsm.opt
   file that is unique to a pc node. If this is not in the file we could
   just overwrite the file with an updated dsm.opt file whenever we
   wanted a gobal change to the exclude list).

>Are there any 'gotchas' with the NT client under NT 4.0?

With PTF 6 there is a problem if the pc has an audio cd-rom loaded.
The adsm client (dsmc.exe, dsm.exe and dsmcsvc.exe) will die with
a divide by zero error. This can also occur with some nfs code.
The problem has been fixed, But the last I heard we can not order or
fetch the fix. Rumor has it that we should get the fix with version 3
which should be out in the aug/sept timeframe. Remember rumor only.
This one gives

You can look at the client readme files for a list of fixed and still broken
fixes as of Jan 1997. If you have access to IBMLINK you can check out
the list of apars for the windows 32 client. You can use the search terms
pids/565511902 lvls/an1

>Tom Kauffman
>Sr. Technical Advisor
>NIBCO, Inc.

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513