ADSM-L

Boosting performance of the Solaris server?

1997-04-28 00:31:35
Subject: Boosting performance of the Solaris server?
From: Russell Street <r.street AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 16:31:35 +1200
Hello...

Any ideas how to make ADSM work faster than I am seeing it at the moment?

For example, doing a back up to a disk storage pool across FDDI I only
see about 500-600 Kb/sec as reported by ADSM --- even lower with
smaller files or more data.

e.g., 28 files:

Total number of objects inspected:       28
Total number of objects backed up:       28
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:    193.5 MB
Data transfer time:                  350.40 sec
Data transfer rate:                  565.74 KB/sec
Average file size:                  7,079.0 KB
Elapsed processing time:           00:08:57

I am using a Sun Solaris (2.5.1) system as a server and variety of
clients (Suns, Win95, Novell).  (Oddly enough, the Novell system
managed 1200Kbytes/sec...)  Neither the server or the clients were
doing much else than the ADSM work.

For a comparision, using rcp to move the file around it can do at >
1Mb/sec.  For writing direct to a DLT drive across the network, I
could manage 3.5Mb/sec at one point.

Any suggestions are welcome. [1]

Russell

[1] except for moving to AIX ;)