ADSM-L

Schedule randomization

1997-04-25 10:49:31
Subject: Schedule randomization
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 07:49:31 -0700
Is there any way to make the "randomization" of the start times
in a schedule more random, in terms of the nodes? I've noticed
that the order in which nodes are defined to a schedule seems to
be the reverse order in which nodes are contacted by the ADSM
server. Consequently, the first node associated with a schedule
is generally the last node to be contacted within the schedule
window.

In our situation, our main production file server was the first
to be added to ADSM. This has now become unfortunate because
every night it is the last machine to be contacted, and quite
often it is still being backed up when users come in in the
morning.

Is there any way to make the ordering of nodes in a schedule
random? Or do I have to go through and delete all of my
associations and start over?

Any help is appreciated. -- Tom

"If I could dot the 'i' in a Michigan     Thomas A. La Porte
 game and the good lord came to take me   Archivist, Feature Animation
 the next day ... at least I could        DreamWorks SKG
 die happy." - Beano Cook, ESPN           <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>