ADSM-L

Re: local devices from ADSM client

1997-04-24 17:49:23
Subject: Re: local devices from ADSM client
From: David Boyes <dboyes AT DIMENSION DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 21:49:23 +0000
>      Here Here!!!!  That would solve lots of problems with our
>      divisions.
>      Sherry Jackson
>      Whirlpool Corporation
> "Morris.Marshael" <morris.marshael AT MAIL.MCCG DOT ORG> at Internet Date:
>   4/23/97 11:29 AM
>      I would like to submit for your consideration that a remote
>      client be able to write to a local device.

Could someone explain this requirement in more detail? On the surface
it seems to defeat the purpose of having a centralized enterprise
backup system -- well-managed, protected backups and archive storage.
If I let the users write to local devices, doesn't that put us back
into the "store the backups on top of the nearest filing cabinet"
model? I certainly can't see a good way to enforce policy
requirements with this sort of model.

Is the object of the requirement to make ADSM a standalone backup
client as well as a network client?

David Boyes
dboyes AT dimension DOT net