ADSM-L

CHECKIN LIBV in 3494 robot - optimising

1997-04-24 10:28:24
Subject: CHECKIN LIBV in 3494 robot - optimising
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 15:28:24 +0100
Hi, A couple of 3494 ATL/3590/AIX 4.1.5/ADSM 2.1.5.12 puzzles ...

1. Can anyone tell me please how to make better use of multiple drives
when checking in tapes into a 3494 robot? I have 60 tapes being checked
in, 8 drives available and it appears to be mounting one tape on one
drive, the next tape on the next drive and so on, but won't have more
than one process going at once? [I'd like to be able to say - use 6
drives please and hurry up.]

2. I also wonder whether I am correct is noticing that CHECKIN LIBV appears
to be blocking a mount request from a restore ...

q sess f=d shows 'waiting for mount of tape xxxxxx (lots of secs)'
q drive/mount/devc shows decks are available
q req says 'no match found for this query' (i.e. no request pending)
q act sea=xxxxxx for the tape being waited for shows nothing - i.e. no
  mount message in the log

Are these bugs or features?

Are there any plans to change/fix?

Thanks a lot. Regards, Sheelagh

Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275