ADSM-L

VM V2 Server Problems

1997-04-24 09:26:54
Subject: VM V2 Server Problems
From: Janice Fisher <SNOJEF AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:26:54 EDT
Jerry,

On the days that the "error" occurs, we did not add many
clients and the usual number of clients that run simultaneously
do not.  The migration process had completed before the
backups had run but I do not know if there were other
processes running at the time.

The only indication that we have of there being a problem
is that the ADSM server is not taking as much CPU as it
usually does.

I "bounced" the server yesterday and looks like everything
ran fine last night.  IBM is still looking into the problem

Thanks for all the help!  I really appreciate any suggestions !

>Janice -

>Is there an unusually high number of client sessions running at the same
>time?  Are there any outstanding processes that slow down ADSM such as
>migrations?

>Jerry Lawson
>jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Larry,

  Thanks for the response.  There are absolutely no messages
on the client side because the server never tries to contact
the client.

> Is there any error messages on the client side?
> Does the client logs say anything like severed, tcpip failure etc.?

We're having a problem on our VM Version 2 server.
We're having a problem on our VM Version 2 server.
It has happened twice in one week.
We backup mainly WinNT and Win95 clients (about 750)
and run during second and third shift.  The problem
occurs that the server only backs up about 1/4 of
the scheduled machines.  The only correction that
we made last week when this happened was to recycle
the server.  There are no error messages.  The server
doesn't appear to be chewing up CPU cycles so it's
not in a loop.
IBM is currently looking into it but I was just wondering
if anyone had any experience and seen anything similar.

Thanks in advance for any help !
Janice

* Janice E. Fisher                 SNOJEF AT VM.SAS DOT COM  *
* SAS Institute, Inc.              677-8000 x6710     *
* SAS Campus Dr.                   Mailstop E204      *
* Cary, NC  27513                                     *