ADSM-L

Copypool question

1997-04-23 17:52:37
Subject: Copypool question
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 14:52:37 PDT
>I have been performing an initial backup to our copypool.  The question
>I have is how does ADSM do its' copying if colocation is set on.  Does
>it copy all the tapes of one node then go onto another?

For backup of a disk storage pool, a process backs up all the files
for one node before going on the the next node.  This is done
regardless of whether the target copy pool is collocated.

For backup of sequential-access primary pools, a backup process works
on one primary tape at a time.  If the target copy pool is collocated,
the backup process copies files on the source tape by node/filespace.
This means that if you are backing up a non-collocated primary pool
to a collocated copy pool, it may be necessary to make multiple passes
over the source tape.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development