ADSM-L

Re: Exb10i w/ 12/12 Server

1997-04-23 14:08:28
Subject: Re: Exb10i w/ 12/12 Server
From: Lothar Guthmann <ltg AT GOME5.PHYSIK.UNI-BREMEN DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 20:08:28 +0200
Hi Francisco,

Francisco Franco wrote:

> Hi Again,
>
> I have upgraded our server to the latest version of the adsm server
> on AIX 3.2.5 (ie 2.1. 12/12).  Everything seems okay, except for the
> management of our EXB10i.
>
> The 10i works great for Tapes# 1-5 but as soon as 6-10 are tried to
> be accessed I get an error with the following characteristics:
>
>   OP=00006C03
>   CC=205
>   KEY=FF
>   ASC=FF
>   ASCQ=FF
>
> I get this as a result of loading the EXB10i using the following
> command:
>
>         checkin libvolume exbauto1 status=private search=yes
>
> The results are, that as soon as it hits tape #6, the machine goes
> into a loop of loading/unloading the tape from the drive, then
> leaving the tape in the drive and moving the arm to the tape storage
> location.  It does this about three times than it gives up, goes
> to the next slot and try to move the next tape (tape #7) onto the
> drive and find out that a tape already exists.  At that point it
> will give me the error info listed above.

[stuff deleted]

We had a similar problem with a 7331-205 (2 drives).
The upper drive showed the symptoms you described (it was a replacement
for a drive spitting out quite every tape fed to it, but that is
another story... ). We called IBM tech support and they first upgraged
the microcode of the drive. To no avail. Then they replaced the drive
with a new one, and the error went away.

Greetings, Lothar