ADSM-L

URGENT - can't redefine tapes in smit for ADSM

1997-04-23 11:38:43
Subject: URGENT - can't redefine tapes in smit for ADSM
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:38:43 -0500
rebooting our machine after some maintenance on the 8mm tape, came up
with lots
of device errors for all the ADSM versions of all our tapes.... for
example,
for /dev/mt2 which is a SCSI DLT library for ADSM and is known as
/dev/rmt2 to AIX
.... it thought the devices were defined but not there.

Wrongly, I deleted them, thinking I would just redefine them through
smit again, under
the ADSM devices entry.
Bad idea...... now I can  not define any of my tape drives (dlt and
3490E's) to ADSM.
They are there for AIX itself but when I use smit/adsm devices/tape
drive or library/add
device I fail with

Method error (/etc/methods/cfgadsmdd):
        0514-051 Device to be configured does not match the physical
                 device at the specified connection location.
and then i see
cfgadsmdd: peripheral device type = 0x01
cfgadsmdd: peripheral device type is magnetic tape
cfgadsmdd: product_type <03490E1103490E11>
cfgadsmdd: the device is NOT supported.
cfgadsmdd: exit validate_n_convert_device_model(), rc 51

this almost seems like my adsm device support is not there.
But looking at my ADSM startup, I see i am licensed for device support
module 4 which i believe includes this
 ANR2854I Server is licensed for device support module 4.

I knew I shouldn't delete these things because it was so difficult to
define them the
first time around.
I have the same problem with my dlt library

ANY ideas please !!  I can't recall any dsm files if needed if I don't
get these libraries
defined

Susan McClure
Rice University