ADSM-L

Anyone interested in a Perl module for ADSM?

1997-04-23 00:35:06
Subject: Anyone interested in a Perl module for ADSM?
From: Owen Crow <crow AT SUGAR-LAND.MIS.SLB DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:35:06 -0500
I've been working on a module for Perl which makes interacting
with ADSM easier by using an automated, standard method for passing
passwords to dsmadmc, trimming the junk out of the output. Before I
start the somewhat lengthy, mildly annoying task of trying to get
my employer to allow me to publish it to the Internet, I'd like to
make sure there are persons who are interested.

I've used it to write a script which combines the output from
"query volume", "query libvolume", "query volhistory", and the
mtlib command to assemble all information about a volume. It
also checks for inconsistencies such as empty offsite volumes,
volumes in the tape library which are not checked into ADSM,
among others.

Another simple script called sdsm to submit a command to dsmadmc is:

***** Begin Script *****
#!/bin/perl -w

use ADSM;

print dsmadmc (@ARGV);
exit $?;
***** End Script *****

Then if you call the script with a normal dsmadmc command such
as "query volume", you get the output minus the header/copyright
stuff, minus the trailing exit code stuff, and the normal exit
status (usually $?) is set to the exit status of the dsmadmc
command.

If you find this sort of thing interesting, please simply reply
to my address <ocrow AT slb DOT com>, NOT the listserve address. I have
a somewhat slow connection, so trim down the reply as much as
possible, but include any suggestions for future subroutines, etc.

Thanks,
Owen Crow
UNIX System Administrator