ADSM-L

NT client - ntuser.dat?

1997-04-22 15:36:13
Subject: NT client - ntuser.dat?
From: Ewald Jenisch <Ewald.Jenisch AT UNIVIE.AC DOT AT>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 21:36:13 +0200
Hi,

Upon trying to recover an NT 4.0 system from disastrous failure I ran
into a very subtle problem.

Here's what I've done:

I set up a NT-system (NT 4.0 workstation) and on another partition an
"NT repair system" as described in
http://www.redbooks.com/SG244880/ntsysr02.htm
and
http://www.redbooks.com/SG244880/ntsysr03.htm

I did a backup of the production system using the latest client
available. During backup however two files weren't backed up (marked
as failures):

NTUSER.DAT
and the corresponding "...log"-file.

When I recovered the NT system I started from the repair-partition and
restored all the files that were on the production NT system.

I then moved the registry files from the c:\adsm.sys\... to the
corresponding c:\winnt\system32\config as described in the WEB-pages
above.

Next I tried to boot the restored system, i.e. the "production
system". It went OK in the first step, however I discovered that when
logging in with userid "Administrator" (where I also did the backup in
the first place), all the desktop settings as well as the program
manager groups etc. were *GONE*!!!

In fact it appeared to me as if user Administrator has been given the
desktop and setting of the Default user.

To double check I tried the process of restoring and configuring the
production system several times - always with the same "result".

The problem seems to be with the NTUSER.DAT file not being backed up
and thus not being restored.

Is there any way to *really* restore an NT 4.0 system including the
registry and settings for all users on the system?

Thanks much in advance for any clue,
-ewald
Ewald Jenisch                      |  E-mail: jenisch AT cc.univie.ac DOT at
Ewald Jenisch                      |  E-mail: jenisch AT cc.univie.ac DOT at
Vienna University Computer Center  |
Universitaetsstrasse 7             |  Tel: (+43 1) 406-58-22 x251  Fax x170
A-1010 Vienna, Austria             |  NIC-Handle: EJ63