ADSM-L

ADSM: performance problems on Novell 3.12 clients

1997-04-22 10:56:27
Subject: ADSM: performance problems on Novell 3.12 clients
From: CRAPS LILY GZ4 <CRAPSL AT BTMAA.BEL.ALCATEL DOT BE>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 15:56:27 +0100
  We are testing ADSM in the following environment: MVS server V2.6 and
Novell V3.12 clients.

Because of bad performance we still cannot use ADSM as an operational
backup tool.
Here some results of a test :

Backup:
# objects inspected :   207.311
# objects backed up :     5.315
transferred:            277,8MB
transfer time:          1.953,05sec
transferrate:           145,67KB/sec
file size:              53,2KB
processing time:        03:17:50
transfer time for 1GB:  11u50min !!!!!!

Restore:A full restore of a server of +/- 5GB has to be stopped after
15hours.

All recommendations specified in the tuning manual were already
performed.

So I would like to know if these results are normal?
If not , which transfer rates can normally be reached?
Is there some-one who has tested a full restore?  How long does it take?
 We cannot use ADSM as an operational tool as long as a restore takes so
long!!

Any suggestion and comments are welcome!

Thanks .

Lily Craps
Alcatel Bell - Belgium.