ADSM-L

Converting 3480's to 3490's

1997-04-21 17:24:41
Subject: Converting 3480's to 3490's
From: Frank Rehor <Frank.Rehor AT CLOROX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 14:24:41 -0700
Hi,
I want to find out if anybody has had experience converting from 3480 to
3490 tape drives on an MVS system and what they had to do for ADSM/MVS. I
found two items on IBMLink: RTA000065483 & RTA000096562; the 2nd one has a
more recent date but they say exactly the same thing.  The customer who
opened this item had the unit parameter of their devclass set to the
generic '3480'. After their conversion to 3490's, ADSM requested that the
old backup tapes be mounted on 3480's. IBM's suggestions were, in short:

1)  The volumes that were written using the 3480 drives should be updated
    with the ACCESS=READONLY parameter.

2)  In order to access the volumes that were written in 3480 format,
    the UNIT parameter of the device class should be changed to SYS3480R.
    This will cause the dynamic allocation code to use either 3480 or
    3490 drives (depending on what's available) to access the old volumes.

3)  The customer should create a NEW device class for future activities
    that will use the 3490E drives.  The unit name should be chosen for
    this device class based on the customer's environment.  Furthermore,
    a NEW storage pool will have to be created for new data too.  This
    new storage pool should reference the new device class.  All storage
    pools that referenced the old (3480) storage pool via the NEXT
    parameter should be updated to reference the new storage pool.

4)  (This was an optional issue of moving the data from the old 3480 format
     tapes to 3490 format using MOVE DATA).

5)  Note that the old storage pool can no longer be used to store new
    data, because SYS3480R unit name in the device class will not allow
    allocation of the new drives for writing in 36-track format.  This
    is the reason for creating a new device class with an appropriate
    unit name for the 3490 drives, as well as a new storage pool that
    references the new device class.

My question is this:  We never used the generic '3480' for our unit
parameter, rather we use an esoteric (CART).  When we change the HCD on MVS
to point esoteric 'CART' to the new 3490 devices, will ADSM honor this
change for device allocation to read old, 3480 tape data?  Or is the device
type (in this case 3480) coded somewhere in the ADSM database, and will
cause device allocation failure when someone tries to read old tape data?
I understand that I must do item #1, to update my old tapes to
access=readonly.  But is the rest necessary, based on experience?
BTW, we are ADSM/MVS 2.1.03.

Thanks,

Frank Rehor
The Clorox Services Company