ADSM-L

Version level compatability problem

1997-04-18 12:48:26
Subject: Version level compatability problem
From: Tom Denier <tom AT STAFF.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 12:48:26 -0400
We recently upgraded our ADSM server from Version 1 to Version 2 and
subsequently ran into a strange version level problem. Many of our
AIX client systems were still using the Version 1 client code when
we upgraded the server. Four of these also used SQL-BackTrack with the
ADSM OBSI module to back up Oracle databases. The morning after the
server upgrade the Version 1 backup/archive client failed on all four
with messages stating that the client code was downlevel for the
server. This came as a considerable surprise, since IBM had repeatedly
assured us that Version 1 could interoperate with the Version 2
server. I took a look at the messages manual, and discovered that the
explanation of the message contradicted the message text. The message
text indicated that the version level of the client code was too
low. The explanation indicated that the message was issued because
the client code version level had been raised and then lowered again.
We eventually concluded that the server had decided that the client
was at Version 2 when it was contacted by the ADSM API client used
by SQL-BackTrack, and subsequently refused to accept connections
from a Version 1 backup/archive server on the same client. We had
to upgrade the backup/archive clients on all four systems on an
emergency basis.