ADSM-L

Re: Netware 4.11 backup taking extremely long

2015-10-04 18:08:48
Subject: Re: Netware 4.11 backup taking extremely long
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 4/18/97 12:10AM
Yes - your logic makes very good sense to me.  If your server is like ours
are, then this is indeed a low activity time.  Probably the only competition
might be the compression of the files that are 2 days old.  I assume that the
compression does not effect the things that ADSM looks at to determine if a
file has changed, and you therefore don't back files up again when
compression occurs.

Our primary concern here is with NetWork capacity, and therefore we force all
clients, regardless of type, to compress. With NetWare, the only issue I have
seen is when someone has a sizeable restore to do, and it is done during the
day.  ADSM then becomes a bit of a pig on the NetWare machine, often causing
slow response.  Of course, the situation of a server having to do large
restores and carry a full user load is not common - if the server has been
severly impacted, then there are no users, or if the amount to be restored is
not large, then the impact is momentary.  We use the processorutilization
limit, and it does help some, but not a huge amount.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    4/18/97 12:10 AM

Jerry,

Netware has a parameter (thru servman) that sets:

 "The number of days to wait after
  a file was last accessed before
   automatically compressing it
  (also settable in STARTUP.NCF)
            Setting: 2
        Limits: 0 to 100000"

We have this set to 2 days.  My thinking was:

(1) Since we do an incremental backup each night, the changed files
would necessarily be uncompressed at that time and benefit from
compression.

(2) Since the bottleneck in the process is probably the network speed,
compression would be good.

(3) The delay caused by the server cpu performing compression would not
hurt us because we back up multiple servers simultaneously and together
they would pump enough data to the adsm server to keep him busy.

Does this make sense?  I'm open to suggestions. I should point out that
during the nightly backups the netware servers do not have high user
demand, so the cpu compression is not an issue in that respect.

Ron Clendenny  <rdclendenny AT cal.ue DOT com>
Callaway Nuclear Power Plant
 Fulton, Missouri

"The difference between the surrealists and me is that I am a
surrealist" - Salvador Dali