ADSM-L

Directory management class

2015-10-04 18:08:48
Subject: Directory management class
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 4/17/97 6:26PM
My guess would be that like all other files, if the directory entries were
already backed up (and hence on tape), then the addition of a DIRMC statement
would not be immediately felt for these items - only new directories would be
handled by the DIRMC pool.

BTW, in regards to the trailer on your note - Beano Cook must have a low
expectation of life - the real joy is in dotting the "i" in Script Ohio.  Go
Buckeyes!

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
former "i" dotter

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    4/17/97 6:26 PM

I'm getting confuse as to how the direcotry management class
option works.

After running backups for several months, during which time all
backups were going to tape, I added a storage pool for directory
management class information on a disk volume.

I've added a "DIRMC" line in the options files of all my clients,
yet after several weeks there is very little in the disk volume
of the storage pool to which dirmc information is supposed to be
sent. The peculiar thing is that almost all of the information
that *is* stored on that volume comes from the three or four
Windows NT machines that we backup, with a negligible fraction of
entries coming from a single IRIX box and a single OS/2 client.

In all cases, the copy group in the directory management class
has the longest "retain only" value.

I had hoped that by defining this, all of the directory
information would eventually be stored on disk, instead of tape,
but I just don't see that happening and I'm anxious to figure out
what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. -- Tom

"If I could dot the 'i' in a Michigan     Thomas A. La Porte
 game and the good lord came to take me   Archivist, Feature Animation
 the next day ... at least I could        DreamWorks SKG
 die happy." - Beano Cook, ESPN           <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>