ADSM-L

dsmaccnt.log

1997-04-16 15:10:29
Subject: dsmaccnt.log
From: David Hendrix 216832 <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:10:29 -0500
In the adsm/nosuppt directory on index.storsys.ibm.com are some
utilities.  If you have REXX for AIX then GOODIES.CORNELL can give you
some quick utils.  I heavily modified a couple of the REXX execs for
korn shell and awk.  They work just fine.  What I have found most useful
are:

1) dsmaccnt.log analysis with options:
   This script lets me get picky about what info I care to look at from
dsmaccnt.
   Made from Korn and awk.

2) Tape analysis:  How many scratch tapes, dbbackup tapes, data tapes.
Any with write errors. Tape lists for full, filling, offsite, etc. Korn
and awk.

3) Unrelated script to Cornell will either read dsmaccnt.log (less
useful) or the activity log (more useful) and build a comma delimited
file of "use records" which can be imported into Microsoft Project.
Then use the Gantt chart to display what a day in the life of your
server looks like (where are processes overlapping and interferring - do
I have open times - etc).  One of the biggest pluses has been watching
the long bars which are my expiration processing and migrations.  This
allowed better schedule planning and reduced disk and cpu utilization.
Korn and awk.

I am sure there are quite a few food utilities out there written by all
of us and I am interested in hearing about them via this list.

David Hendrix
dmhendri AT fedex DOT com