ADSM-L

Re: Parallel Streaming

1997-04-16 02:30:22
Subject: Re: Parallel Streaming
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:30:22 +0200
> I have a question regarding the concept of parallel streaming (I think).
>
> If we have 6 tape drives in a DLT library (using ADSM 2.1 for UNIX) and need
> backup a file that is 2GB in size, does ADSM have the ability to
automatically
> break that file into pieces so that all 6 tape drives will write the bits and
> pieces of the file concurrently to tape?  Likewise on a restore, will ADSM
> utilize all 6 drives to gather the 2GB file that may be dispersed across 6
> different tapes to achieve maximum efficiency or does it just use one drive
> gather the information that may be scattered across 6 different tapes?
>
> Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Hi Mike,

The parallel streaming is not a feature of ADSM as such - it is a concept that
can be
applied when using ADSM.

If you have six tape drives and you have six 2 gb files you can start six adsm
sessions(six backups) in parallel. If you have only one 2gb file adsm can not
brake that file up to write to six different drives. Just remember that some
thought must go into the way you are going to do this.

Regards

Christo Heuer
Johannesburg
South Africa