ADSM-L

ADSM Performance

1997-04-15 09:31:40
Subject: ADSM Performance
From: "Roger L. Spach" <rlspach AT PARANET DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:31:40 -0500
Hello.

We are currently considering a number of backup products, one of which is
ADSM/AIX.  We will be using a pair of DLT7000 drives for backup.  I am
concerned that ADSM will not be able to run these drives anywhere near
full speed without the use of intermediary disk space on the AIX server.
Most backup products use data interleaving with multiple client streams to
optimize tape drive performance, whereas ADSM does not do this(?)  This is a
particular concern because most of our clients will be Novell systems, which
will be somewhat slow to begin with.  Does anyone have any experiences they
could share?  I can't see how running a single client/device will provide
the performance we need.  BTW:  The server will be attached to a 100Mbs
Ethernet switch port.

Thank You.

Roger Spach
Senior Systems Analyst