ADSM-L

ADSM database volumes/disks/performance - question

1997-04-14 11:00:26
Subject: ADSM database volumes/disks/performance - question
From: Tom Tannes <tom.tannas AT USIT.UIO DOT NO>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:00:26 +0200
Hello adsm'ers!

Our ADSM-server is running out of disk-space, so we need to add more disks.

I would like to hear from other adsm-users what are their experience whith
different disks/disk-subsystems to hold the db- and log-volumes

The server is a RS6000/R30 whith two 604 CPU's and 128MB memory installed.
The OS is AIX 4.1.4, and the adsm-server is 2.1.5.12

Our current configuration consists of 12 4.5GB SSA-disks which holds
the db-volumes, log-volumes and the disk-storage-pool-volumes.

The database is currently using about 30GB of this space, an is still growing
rapidly, which causes the need for more space.

I also have problems whith high disk I/O-wait, often 80% and more on the db-
volumes, even if I manage to keep the cache hit % above 95.
The cache is 30MB which seems to be the limit for us before things start paging
heavily.

All our adsm-volumes are raw disk volumes, and only the recovery log is
mirrored.

Because of the 2GB volume-limit in adsm we have 3 volumes sharing each disk to
be able to use all the disk-space. I've had the feeling that this was wrong
from the beginning, but the 4.5GB-disks was what IBM recommended for us.

What whill be the best thing for us to do?

 - Add more 4.5GB SSA-disks?

 - Add even more 2GB SSA-disks?

 - Move the whole database to a RAID subsystem?

Any hints/experiences/suggestions would be appreciated.....

                                            Tom Tannes