ADSM-L

Reply to Re: Adsm Macintosh C

1997-04-14 09:25:00
Subject: Reply to Re: Adsm Macintosh C
From: Mike Stewart <STEWAJM AT AUDUCADM.DUC.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:25:00 -05
*** Original Author:  ADSM-L @ MARIST - ** Remote User **; 04/14/97 07:30am

For what it's worth we backup Unix, Windows 3.1, 95, and several Macs using
a level 1.2 Sun Solaris Server.  We have occasional failures on scheduler
based backups but never anything systematic.  We are using 2.1.0.5,6 clients
and Macs with 7.5.1-7.5.5, OT 1.1.1,OT1.1.2, MacTCP (a bit of everything)
I know that doesn't solve your problem, but as far as we have seen there
does not seem to be any deadly combinations that don't work. We use the
scheduler instead of the direct backup, maybe it would work better for you.

>I'm not much of an expert on Macintosh, but there have been several comments
>here through the past year about Open Transport 1.1 causing problems - I
>assume that when you say that the failing machine is running TCP/IP version
>1.1, that is what you have.  Can you look at upgrading the failing machine?
>
>The problems were identified by Apple, and they did the fixes, not ADSM.
>
>Jerry Lawson
>jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
>

>______________________________ Forward Header
>__________________________________
>Subject: Adsm Macintosh Client Backup Failures
>Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
>Date:    4/12/97 4:56 PM
>

>We have recently begun to use ADSM  to back up two Macintosh clients at our
>company.  We have installed the V2.1.0.6 client software and they are backing
>up to an OS/2 V1.2.0.9 server.

Bradley King                            Tel: 331.47.46.66.83
Schlumberger Industries GTL             Fax: 331.47.46.72.12
50 ave Jean Jaures
BP 620-13
92542 Montrouge Cedex
France

*** Comments From: STEWAJM - Stewart, Mike; 04/14/97 08:11am

We have a similar problem.  We have a user running an older Mac
as a file server, System 7.1 and MacTCP 2.6

Incremental backups run for awhile, although slowly, then
hang.  The server (MVS 2.1.12) shows the session as Idle or
RecvW, but the client is stuck in the backup window.
It seems to consistently hang on a file in
the SYSTEM folder.  Eventually the session times-out on the
server, but the client machine has to be re-booted.

We've had no problems reported on Mac clients running
Open Transport, but this machine is too old to upgrade
it's software.  (So I am told, at least.  I am not really
a Mac person.)