ADSM-L

Adsm Macintosh Client Backup Failures

2015-10-04 18:08:48
Subject: Adsm Macintosh Client Backup Failures
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 4/12/97 4:56PM
I'm not much of an expert on Macintosh, but there have been several comments
here through the past year about Open Transport 1.1 causing problems - I
assume that when you say that the failing machine is running TCP/IP version
1.1, that is what you have.  Can you look at upgrading the failing machine?

The problems were identified by Apple, and they did the fixes, not ADSM.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    4/12/97 4:56 PM

We have recently begun to use ADSM  to back up two Macintosh clients at our
company.  We have installed the V2.1.0.6 client software and they are backing
up to an OS/2 V1.2.0.9 server.

We've had good success at backing up one of the Mac's.  However, the second
Mac has been more difficult.  It consistently backs up for 30 minutes and then
hangs.  After the ADSM hang, other applications on the Mac will continue to
run until we try to quit ADSM or shutdown the Mac; at that point, the entire
Mac hangs.  An error log isn't created and the schedule log shows no
indication of a problem.  We've bumped the ADSM memory on both Macs to 6M.

Amazingly enough, with the small number of Macs we have, these two are running
a different level of System and TCP/IP software and I wonder if that might be
contributing to the problem.  Their only TCP/IP application is ADSM;
otherwise, they use Appletalk.

The successful Mac is running System 7.5.5 and Open Transport TCP/IP 1.1.2.
The failing Mac is running System 7.5.3 Revision 2.2 and System 7.5.3 TCP/IP
Version 1.1.

I'm not terribly familiar with Macs so I don't really understand the
difference between these TCP/IP stacks.  Does anyone have experience with
these stacks or are you familiar with Mac TCP/IP stacks with which you've had
good success.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Dennis Schaffer
Mutual of Omaha

Delivery Priority: Normal
Delivery Report:   Basic