ADSM-L

Multiple backup sessions on one machine

1997-04-11 10:58:49
Subject: Multiple backup sessions on one machine
From: Peter Carranti <carrantip AT NIMO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:58:49 EDT
Has anyone experimented with and/or perfected running concurrent backups on one
client machine, specifically AIX, HPUX, Netware, and WIN/NT clients?

We are trying to reduce our backup times on the above platforms and are hoping
that "splitting" a machine into multiple concurrent backups might help.  But we
are not sure how to go about doing so, and cannot find specifics in any
manual.  If there's documentation out there that explains this, I'd gladly RTM.

Do we need to create multiple nodes on each machine pointing to different
dsmc.exe, domains and dsm.opt, dsm.sys files in order to schedule concurrent
backups?  Has anyone tried this and gotten any benefit from it?  Or is it not
worth the trouble.

I apologize if this has been covered in detail here previously, but I don't
recall seeing it.

Many thanks,

Peter Carranti
Niagara Mohawk Power Corp