ADSM-L

excluding during an archive?

1997-04-10 16:17:06
Subject: excluding during an archive?
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 13:17:06 -0700
Has anyone tackled the issue of excluding files for an archive
process?

We have a requirement to take snapshots of a project when it
reaches certain points in time. There are, however, certain
well-defined directories in the project structure that can be
excluded--basically we need to snapshot the source so the output
files could be reproduced, but we don't want to snapshot the
output files themselves.

If this were a backup procedure, I'd simply use a two line
include/exclude list like this:

exclude /.../pic/*
exclude /.../comp/*

and I'd be laughing. But an archive process ignores the
include/exclude file. Unfortunately this would add several
gigabytes of extra unwanted files on tape (not to mention the
added load on an already large database).

There are two alternatives to achieving this that I've been able
to devise, and I'm wondering if anybody has further ideas:

 1) archive the entire directory structure and pipe the output
    to a log file; parse the log file for all files in
    directories named "pic" or "comp" and then delete these
    files from the archive

 2) put together a list of all the directories in the structure,
    grep out the "comp" and "pic" directories, and do an
    individual archive process on each of the remaining
    directories

I've used each process for other projects with different exclude
requirements, but I'm looking for a better way for this project.

The first alternative is unsatisfactory because the "pic" and
"comp" directories are contain a lot of very large files. This
makes the archive process take much longer than necessary, and
there are many database transactions that we don't need, which
artificially inflates the size of the recovery log.

The second alternative is better from an ADSM database
standpoint, but it doesn't seem to be the most efficient method.
An example project would require 384 different 'dsmc arch'
processes to complete the archiving.

I don't know of any way to tell ADSM to skip certain files or
directories while doing an archive process. I'd be interested to
hear from others about how to go about accomplishing our goals.

Thanks. -- Tom

"If I could dot the 'i' in a Michigan     Thomas A. La Porte
 game and the good lord came to take me   Archivist, Feature Animation
 the next day ... at least I could        DreamWorks SKG
 die happy." - Beano Cook, ESPN           <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>