ADSM-L

Copypool offsite

2015-10-04 18:08:47
Subject: Copypool offsite
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 4/9/97 12:15PM
Two things we did to solve your problem...

1.  When we set up the copypool, we gave it it's own devclass.  When we defined
the devclass, we gave it a qualifier of ADSM.BK.  This can only be done when the
class is defined, not via an update command.  The obvious value here is that we
can go through TMS, and pull all tapes that are labeled ADSM.BK.xxx  DB backups
are a little harder - The problem here is that there is no way to create a
second copy of the backup tape - Something I believe to be a REAL NECESSITY
(listening, IBM?)  Therefore, what we do is pull the ADSM.DBB files based on
date.  We actually run the pull list in the mornign before we make the next full
backup, so that I take the latest full backup and it's associated incrementals
off as a set, then take a new full backup.  I know others do a daily full
backup, but I don't want to spend the time each day (although I may have to).

2.  When you update the status of a copypool tape to indicate it is now
"offsite", an ANR2207 message is issued.  If you have a scheduled command that
updates the status of all elligible copypool tapes to offsite, then an ANR2753
message is issued, which writes the ANR2207 message to the log.  You can then
have some console automation routines to trap the messages, or search the log
for these messages.  We issue an update volume command for all "readwrite"
copypool tapes that are "full" everyday at 8:00PM.  This generates the ANR2753
message, which the TMS system traps, and uses to generate a pull list.  Because
we do not send "filling" tapes offsite, we do not want to just scan on ADSM.BK.

If you have any other questions about what we do, e-mail me.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com