ADSM-L

Slowness of the Migration Process

2015-10-04 18:08:47
Subject: Slowness of the Migration Process
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 4/9/97 7:37AM
Yes, you can run more than 1 migration process - if you are using the GUI
admin client, there is an option to set it on the last screen.  I do remember
that at one time, there was a bug in the OS/2 admin client that kept you from
changing the number of migration processes with the GUI - you had to use the
Update Stgpool command in the command line interface.

Of course this is all with MVS - I am assuming that VM works the same.......

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    4/9/97 7:37 AM

I suspect I'm not the only one having a rather trying week due to the
32-bit Windows clients doing full backups in honor of Daylight Savings
(I have about 1200 of them).

Of my three servers (all on VM, all V1), two are holding together, but
the largest (1800 clients) is not.  I've expanded the disk storage pool
on all of them and cranked the maximum number of sessions down, but the
disk storage pool (6G) on the largest keeps filling up.

The problem is that the migration process can't keep up, running around
the clock.  Am I right in believing that only one migration process is
allowed at a time?  Is there any way to up the priority of the migration
task?  (It appears to be relatively low.)  I've given the server virtual
machine massive favoring, and the tapes are in an STK silo, so it never
waits long for tape mounts.  Any suggestions for speeding up the process?

Melinda Varian,
Princeton University