ADSM-L

Re: bare metal restore for various unix systems

1997-04-08 18:51:19
Subject: Re: bare metal restore for various unix systems
From: Mark Simonds <msimond AT USWEST DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:51:19 -0600
Greg Tevis wrote:

> There are only a couple types of Unix systems that provide bootable
> recovery utlities to allow bare metal restores....one of the many
> enhancements AIX made to basic unix functions was to add bootable
> recovery via mksysb.  Without this type of function (as is the
> case with most brands of unix), you are left to reinstall the
> o/s from cd or tape, reboot this base system, then start
> some kind of full system restore (eg, with ADSM)...greg tevis

Here is a thought that I have kicked around for months.

Anyone, feel free to spend months working out the details and
let us know where you end up <grin>.

I believe most (if not all) UNIX platforms have the ability to
boot as diskless workstations.
In the process of doing so, a machine downloads a kernel image
(via RARPd and tftpd), boots, mounts filesystem disk and swap space,
and executes initialization scripts off the mounted filesystems.

A Solaris Jumpstart boots as a diskless client at first, then executes
a series of scripts to build an entire system from ground up. We used
this to do a complete ground up installation on over 1,500 Solaris
workstations. -Including backup and recovery client code.

Why can't this paramigm be extended to include executing an automated
recovery from ADSM. I see no reason it can't!

In effect, you will have build a one command ground up disaster
recovery.
--> "boot net - install" would do it.
  Mark Simonds
  Mark Simonds
  U.S. West  ~  Life's Better Here
Systems Analyst | (303)624-3482 : msimond AT uswest DOT com