ADSM-L

Re: Doing Eval of ADSM, a couple of questions . . . . . .

1997-04-07 22:34:56
Subject: Re: Doing Eval of ADSM, a couple of questions . . . . . .
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,HiServ/US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 22:34:56 -0400
Richard,

1) The ADSM 2.1.5.x code on SMP systems had problems early on but is
improving of late.  It does scale past 1
    processor - we've got 2 processors on an R30 and can keep them
pretty busy at night during backups and during
   the day with background processing (reclamation, copy storagepools,
etc.)

2) This depends... only way I've seen better thruput on Netware servers
is with bigger files or by running multiple
     concurrent restores.

3) Some changes have been made to ADSM to deal with small files better
but there's still plenty of room for
     improvement (see TXNGROUPMAX on server and TXNBYTELIMIT on client).

5) Depends on whether or not you're using compression, what you have the
processorutilization parameter set at, how fast a machine you have, etc.
 Typically, ADSM will keep a Netware server pretty busy.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com