ADSM-L

NetWare TCP failures

1997-04-04 19:23:20
Subject: NetWare TCP failures
From: Arian de Wit <a.dewit AT NIWA.CRI DOT NZ>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 12:23:20 NZST
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to ADSM, and I manage the clients at our site that are
backed up to a server managed by the IT department of the campus on
which we are located (if that makes sense).

I'm using ADSM client on NetWare 4.1. It's Version 2, Release
1, Level 0.5 (IP20850), backing up to an AIX server.

Every session backs up quite a number of files (~5000-10000), then
terminates with the following message:

ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection failure

There are no other errors displayed. This has happened a few times in
the last six weeks or so, but now happens on every backup session. I
recently installed Novell's TCPN03 patch, so that's my prime suspect
(has anyone else used this patch?)

Settings in DSM.OPT are:

TCPBUFFSIZE               32
TCPWINDOWSIZE             64
TXNBYTELIMIT              8192
COMPRESSION               OFF

The SYS:ETC\TCPIP.CFG file on the NetWare server contains the
following (I have removed the IP addresses):

TcpMSSinternetlimit OFF
AutonomousSystem 0
Protocol rip on {
    Interface {
        Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        Port CPQNF3_EII
        Status on
        Cost 1
        Poison off
        OriginateDefault off
        Mode ripI
        Neighbor {
        }
    }
}
Protocol egp off {
}
Protocol ospf off {
    Interface {
        Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        Port CPQNF3_EII
        Status off
        Cost 1
        AreaId 0.0.0.0
        Priority 1
        RetransmissionInterval 5
        TransitDelay 1
        HelloInterval 10
        RouterDeadInterval 40
        Nbma {
            PollInterval 120
            Neighbor {
            }
        }
    }
}
Interface {
    Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Port CPQNF3_EII
    Type lan
    RouterDiscovery no
    SolicitationAddress multicast
}

Any ideas what might be wrong, or how I can get more info on the
problem?

Thanks very much,

Arian

Arian de Wit, Network Administrator
NZ National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research (NIWA)
Box 11-115, Hamilton, New Zealand
Phone (+64) 7-856 1769; Fax (+64) 7-856 0151
eMail a.dewit AT niwa.cri DOT nz; Web http://www.niwa.cri.nz