ADSM-L

Rebinding Files to a New Mgmt Class

1997-04-04 12:14:00
Subject: Rebinding Files to a New Mgmt Class
From: "Siciliano, Gerald" <siciliag AT MOODYS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 12:14:00 EST
I am having a problem rebinding files to a different management class.

Several client nodes were move to a different policy domain and the active
policy set in that domain does not have a management class with the same
name.  Since this has been done the following message has been in the act
log repeatedly...

04/04/1997 00:56:17  ANR0830W Management class EXCHANGE_MGMT1 in domain
                      DOJ_DOMAIN used by node EMAIL1 in file space EM1_D is
no
                      longer active, or no longer has a BACKUP copy group:
                      DEFAULT management class attributes will be used for
                      expiration.

Although the default management class is being used and files are not being
delete, it is my understanding that by rebinding the files to the new
management class will stop this message from being generated.

I have added the statement 'INCLUDE ?:* DOJ_MGMT1' to the Include/Exclude
list in the Client Options File on the Windows NT Client.
I start the backup on the client side at the DSMC prompt.
When the backup completes I have the following message...

Rebinding-->            41,600 D:\TECHPO\mailexe\SCHDPLUS\SHELL.DLL  Sent
Rebinding-->           247,984 D:\TECHPO\mailexe\SCHDPLUS\STORE.DLL  Sent
Rebinding-->            12,960 D:\TECHPO\mailexe\SCHDPLUS\TRNSCHED.DLL  Sent
Rebinding-->             5,653 D:\TECHPO\mailexe\SCHDPLUS\VER.DL_  Sent
Rebinding-->            15,091 D:\TECHPO\mailexe\SCHDPLUS\WAVES.DLL  Sent
Rebinding-->           256,192 D:\TECHPO\mailexe\SCHDPLUS\WINHELP.EXE  Sent
Rebinding-->            12,272 D:\TECHPO\mailexe\SCHDPLUS\WIZARD.DLL  Sent
Rebinding-->            49,647 D:\TECHPO\mailexe\SCHDPLUS\_MSTEST.EX_  Sent
Rebinding-->             6,622 D:\TECHPO\mailexe\SCHDPLUS\_RESTART.EX_  Sent
ANS4638E Incremental backup of 'D:' finished with 110 failure

Total number of objects inspected:   52,606
Total number of objects backed up:    1,614
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:     47,631
Total number of objects deleted:      1,521
Total number of objects failed:         110
Total number of bytes transferred:    667.8 MB
Data transfer time:                  308.58 sec
Data transfer rate:                2,216.22 KB/sec
Average file size:                    396.5 KB
Compression percent reduction:         3.24%
Elapsed processing time:            2:19:06
dsmc>

Are the 110 failed objects files that were in use?
Is there another way to go about rebinding files?
Also, why were files deleted the retention is set to No Limit?

ADSM ver 2.1.3  is running on AIX 4.1.4

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Gerald Siciliano
Moody's Investors Service