ADSM-L

Re: DB BACKUP volume assigment

1997-04-04 10:39:00
Subject: Re: DB BACKUP volume assigment
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:39:00 -0500
We do not have a TMS for MVS either.  I use my console automation product
(Automate from CA) to respond to messages and supply the correct tape from
a list of private tapes.

For full backups I update the adsm admin schedule to change the list of
volumes.  The update is triggered by message ANR4550I Full database backup
complete.  The command is then ready for the next full backup which is done
weekly.

I use rollforward with triggers, but the incrementals go to sms managed
disk.  The output files are migrated by hsm, and copies of the hsm ml2
tapes go offsite, so I don't need tapes for the ADSM incrementals.

If you have a console automation product, you could capture the messages
indicating that an adsm incremental db backup is starting and reply with
the correct volser to the mvs message requesting a scratch.  Or you could
cancel the process and submit a 'backup db' command with volumenames coded.

Bill Colwell
The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
Cambridge Ma.