ADSM-L

Disaster test

1997-04-03 14:56:08
Subject: Disaster test
From: Julie Phinney <julphinn AT EMPHESYS.E-MAIL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 14:56:08 EST
I plan to do a disaster test in the next week, a pre-hotsite test.
We won't restore the server, just one client, using offsite tapes.
Has anyone done this?  Can you share your experience with me?
Can you comment on the following plan and how long it took to do the
restore from non-collocated, non-silo tapes?
(We did a restore of a 25 GB server from 53 onsite tapes in 14 hours.
 Management believed that to be acceptable. But potentially, offsite
 tapes could take much longer... management is threatening to convert
 back to ArcServe pending outcome of this test).
I have an MVS server, a Novell 3.12 client (which resides on, it looks
like, 158 cartridge tapes in the non-collocated offsite pool).
I've been told I will need to:
1. Migrate the disk pool to empty
2. Issue  SHOW VOLUMEUSAGE clientname
3. Mark those tapes destroyed
4. Issue LOAD DSMC RESTORE .... (and list all filespaces)
5. Note the errors in the ADSM started task log as these will be the
   offsite tapes I need to request be brought back.
6. Get the tapes back.
7. Mark them READOnly.
8. Do the restore.
9. Mark the tapes offsite again.
10. Mark the primary volumes undestroyed again.
Thanks for any feedback!
Julie Phinney
JULPHINN @ EMPHESYS.E-MAIL.COM