ADSM-L

does using HSM under ADSM make it impossible to do mksysb?

1997-04-03 10:00:05
Subject: does using HSM under ADSM make it impossible to do mksysb?
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 09:00:05 -0600
Since implementing space management under ADSM/6000 I am having
"failures"
doing a mksysb.

I followed directions in the ADSM/HSM redbook.... saying to first
cancel all hsm processes
and the dsmmonitord and dsmrecalld etc

When I execute the mksysb though I get the following error messages
(note: vet1 and
vet2 are my jfs systems that are managed by hsm.  they are not on the
rootvg, but in
separate user volume groups) :

bosboot: Boot image is 5932 512 byte blocks.
mount: 0506-324 Cannot mount /vet1 on /ethan/vet1: A system call
received a para
meter that is not valid.
mount: 0506-324 Cannot mount /vet2 on /ethan/vet2: A system call
received a para
meter that is not valid.
umount: 0506-347 Cannot find anything to unmount.
umount: 0506-347 Cannot find anything to unmount.
0+1 records in.
1+0 records out.

Backing up the system...

the mksysb finally says completed successfully..... but according to
IBM support, it is
not a valid mksysb and I could not recover with it.  They say the
/ethan is in their code
for the mksysb function.  They insist I must unmount and varyoff by
user volume groups
before doing a mksysb.  This does not seem reasonable.  And... this
never happened
before implementing hsm with ADSM.

Can anyone else who uses hsm successfully do a mksysb still???  Is
there some step I
am missing here ??   I am very concerned that I don't have a good
mksysb.
thanks.