ADSM-L

Re: Tape or Disk? Sizing question

1997-04-02 09:30:01
Subject: Re: Tape or Disk? Sizing question
From: Jim Bootz <bootz AT ADC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 08:30:01 CST
> >Tom,
> >
> >Sorry, I don't have any restore rates to give you. Under normal
> conditions, backing up across an SP switch, we're getting up to 16GB per
> hour. I just want to pass on some capacity planning tips.
>
> Thanks, Jim -- is this direct to tape speed, or are you staging to disk?

This is straight to tape, but we've considered staging to disk to cut down on
our offline Oracle backup times. We've already got a ton of SSA drives and that
would mean about a half ton more, but we may have to go that route when we go
into production and the DBs start growing.

> Oh, we *know* one drive isn't enough! Our problem is *proving* that two
> won't carry the load either -- and that *three* 3590s, each with an ACF, is
> kinda dumb. I have enough slots (if I remember corectly), and if I don't,
> I'll be forced to two tape drives per SCSI interface. This project is
> already showing signs of severe budget strain -- and to go to a high node
> I'd need to add a third frame and switch.

Budget? What's that? We've long since surpassed our original estimates on the
number of nodes, SSA drives, and memory we'd need. Sizing isn't an exact
science. I'm not sure it involves any kind of science at all.