ADSM-L

Re: ADSM/Backint parallel backups on an SP

1997-04-02 09:30:27
Subject: Re: ADSM/Backint parallel backups on an SP
From: Tom Kauffman <kauffman AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 09:30:27 -0500
At 02:39 PM 3/31/97 CST, you wrote:
>Recently, we attempted for the first time to do parallel backups to three
3590 tape drives in a 3494 robotic library across an SP switch and failed
with numerous "TCP/IP connection" failures. Similar parallel backups across
ethernet worked fine, but were much slower than a switch. We also had
success using just two drives and the SP switch. Has anyone else had this
experience? Is this a matter of tuning (our 'no' settings are considered
optimal according to the latest information on SP tuning)? Or, are we
expecting too much?

>Jim Bootz

Jim -

I'm not using backint (yet -- scheduled to start in another week); I just
run multiple dsmc archive commands. Up to 17 concurrent processes over the
switch, up to 3 concurrent processes over ethernet. I'm not running direct
to tape for more than one session, but I have a 4.4 GB archive pool as a
staging area. I *am* doing compression on the client side currently, and
that slows things down a bit. (Well, a lot, really :-)

Which version of backint? We'll be starting with 2.1.2 next week (ran
validation tests last week).

Tom Kauffman
kauffman AT nibco DOT com