ADSM-L

Re: WinNT Restore Gone Awry

1997-04-02 07:17:01
Subject: Re: WinNT Restore Gone Awry
From: dan thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 06:17:01 -0600
Linnea,

   The NT registry is a very finicky beast.  A registry from one machine is
not usable by another.  This is due to the security id (SID) that
identifies the machines being unique and this SID stored in various places
in the registry.

You said that the user re-installed NT.  This may have rebuilt the SID (I
am almost certain).  It is documented in ADSM readme files that registries
cannot be used by other machines.

The only reccomendation that I have is that you encourage the user to let
you know ASAP when problem occur and that they understand that reformatting
and re-installing may have serious ramifications.  I am meeting with a
Microsoft person today and will ask them when a machine SID is built.

Dan Thompson