ADSM-L

Re: High Capacity Tapes

1997-03-27 14:11:01
Subject: Re: High Capacity Tapes
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 13:11:01 -0600
     "FORMAT=DRIVE" just says use what ever can be used on the medium...
     or "best possible"  I believe even the online help under "define
     devclass"... yeah it is I just checked... I saw it under device class
     for DLT tapes where there are the optional commpression settings and
     the such, which reminded me of the bonus to using format=drive. Say
     you have a DLT library and the drives don't have compression and then
     you add a drive that has optional compression.  If you used
     format=drive in your device class origionally you could add the drive
     without having to create a new device class to take advantage of the
     compression.
     later
          Dwight
     (oh, and it also helps if you have to define a DLT drive but have
     absolutely NO documentation on it and you get 4 different answers from
     4 different people when you ask them about this drive they dumped on
     you to use, don't you just LOVE IT when that happens)

Author:  ADSM-L (ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU) at unix,mime
Date:    3/27/97 10:56 AM

Hi Lambros,

Lambros Rizos wrote:

> 1)We have a 7331 Drive 160m tapes and FORMAT=DRIVE. This work.

I'm not sure what you mean by FORMAT=DRIVE.  Up until now, I just
do a dsmlabel and then do a checkin of the tapes into the 7331
jukebox.

> 2)Are there MRS tapes ?

The tapes we are using are 8mm tapes.

... My original stuff deleted...

It's just that when we use the 120m tapes, we get close to 5GB
of storage on a tape, but when I use a 160m 8mm tape I still only
get close to 5GB of storage.

Do I have to defined a different storage pool for the 160m tapes?
Any help would be appreciated.

Francisco

--
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca