ADSM-L

Another Silent Setup question

1997-03-27 10:10:48
Subject: Another Silent Setup question
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:10:48 -0500
SEND:
TO: INTERNET=ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
SEND:

Date:   March 27, 1997                  Time:    9:31 AM
From:   Jerry Lawson
        The Hartford Insurance Group
        (860) 547-2960    jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
We thought we were ready to distribute a script for silent installation for
We thought we were ready to distribute a script for silent installation for
a Win95 client.  We are distributing the  code via Microsoft Exchange.

The problem is that we are having trouble with drive mappings.  Because we
cannot bet that every machine will have the same drive mappings established
(not everyone's U: drive points to the same place), the guys were using a
universall mapping feature for NT.  In essence what they are trying is:

       \\Domain_name\install\dir\disk1\setup.exe -s
-f1=\\domain_name\response.file
The result of this is a message that says (approximately) "Setup is unable
The result of this is a message that says (approximately) "Setup is unable
to run a program needed for installation" - there is a return code of 105
with the message.  This appears in a popup box.

If we point the F1= to a specific location (using a drive letter) we get a
return code of 12 (in the log file) indicating that the response file is
out of sequence.  Our take on this is that the installation process is of
course different when being run remotely, than when being run locally.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behabior, and have any suggestions?  It
would appear that from the 105 using the universal address, that the setup
program can't handle the universal address?  Has anyone tried this?
**
Jerry Lawson