ADSM-L

Re: Repair disk for NT/Win95 from ADSM

1997-03-27 07:52:50
Subject: Re: Repair disk for NT/Win95 from ADSM
From: dan thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 06:52:50 -0600
Ronald,

   I think that you have raised an excellent question that may have a
relatively simple solution.  However, I need to do a little research to
find out if it is possible.  Firstly, since we are able to define a
pre-schedule command, we could schedule rdisk.  What I need to find out is
if rdisk can accept parms to prevent it from actually making a diskette.
By using rdisk without any parms and choosing update, it will save the
files only in the winnt_root\repair subdirectory.  These files are the same
ones that live on the repair disk.  By running rdisk before the backup you
will have the ability to restore this subdirectory in an emergency to any
workstation and then replace the files on the original repair disk with the
restored ones.  There may be some files on the diskette that are not in the
repair subdirectory, but by copying what IS in this directory to a previous
repair diskette, everything MAY work.

I will see if I can find out what parms RDISK accepts (like /s to include
the DEFAULT, SAM and SECURITY files).  If this methodology sounds viable to
you, let me know and please consider testing it.  I am in training 4 weeks
out of the next 5 and may not be able to do any actual testing myself.

Dan Thompson

> From: operator <oper AT LLE.ROCHESTER DOT EDU>
> From: operator <oper AT LLE.ROCHESTER DOT EDU>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Subject: Repair disk for NT/Win95 from ADSM
> Date: Wednesday, March 26, 1997 2:39 PM
>
>   Is it possible to have ADSM make a repair disk during every backup?
This